Skip to main content

Reflections on the Old Testament: Job and Psalms

“The LORD rewarded me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands He has recompensed me. For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God. For all His judgments were before me, and I did not put away His statutes from me. I was also blameless before Him, and I kept myself from my iniquity. Therefore the LORD has recompensed me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in His sight.”—Psalm 18:20-24, NKJV

In the above verses, the psalmist seems to be boasting of his own righteousness, and “the cleanness of his hands,” saying, essentially, that God delivered him because of his purity.

But before we denounce this as pride, let’s take a look at Psalm 16:2, where David says: “O my soul, you have said to the LORD, ‘You are my Lord, my goodness is nothing apart from You.’” This verse provides an extremely direct answer to the puzzlement over Ps. 18:20-24. If we combine all these verses, we are able to see the whole truth:

David recognizes God as his Lord, and the source of all goodness. As a man who follows God, he recognizes that his own goodness is entirely dependent upon God. Therefore, when he “boasts” of his righteousness, he is, in truth, praising God for the goodness He has placed in him, which has saved him from destruction.

 

“But now He has worn me out; You have made desolate all my company. You have shriveled me up, and it is a witness against me; my leanness rises up against me and bears witness to my face. He tears me in His wrath, and hates me; He gnashes at me with His teeth; my adversary sharpens His gaze upon me. They gape at me with their mouth, they strike me reproachfully on the cheek, they gather together against me. God has delivered me to the ungodly, and turned me over to the hands of the wicked.”—Job 16:7-11, NKJV

“Many bulls have surrounded Me; strong bulls of Bashan have encircled Me. They gape at Me with their mouths, like a raging and roaring lion. I am poured out like water, and all My bones are out of joint; My heart is like wax; it has melted within Me. My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and My tongue clings to My jaws; You have brought Me to the dust of death. For dogs have surrounded Me; the congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me. They pierced My hands and My feet; I can count all My bones. They look and stare at Me. They divide My garments among them, and for My clothing they cast lots.”—Psalm 22:12-18, NKJV

Being alienated from God by sin is the plight of man without Christ. Christ cut Himself off from God when He became sin for us on the cross. The Messiah’s outcry, therefore, in Psalm 22:12-18 matches that of Job in Job 16:7-11. In this respect many other verses in the book of Job can also be correlated to Christ’s suffering, if we but look for them. The climactic point of such a comparison is that Christ’s suffering ends in victory over mankind’s doom, i.e., since Christ already suffered spiritual death, and overcame it, our own spiritual death, which would otherwise be unavoidable, is now nullified through our belief in Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Abortion

The essential question regarding the issue of abortion is this: can the unborn be properly considered human and are we therefore under an obligation to protect them? If this can be answered, we can begin to consider the social and political issues surrounding abortion. The Nature and Rights of the Unborn Human rights are contingent on being human—something that has always been implicit, but never fully defined except in the sphere of philosophy or in a strictly biological sense. In the past, a clear definition wasn’t necessary, because no one was thinking about existence before birth or what makes us different from machines and so forth. As science has progressed, however, we’ve been forced to consider our own humanity because of how deeply we understand our biology, including our development from a fertilized egg, and of how frequently in science the lines between material and abstract existence are blurred. Ethics in science aside, abortion is probably the most notable scenario

The Family - A Sestina

All together and laughing, the family Fills the long, low house on the farm; They gather naturally to drink coffee, To rein in the years and make them stand still. In his armchair, an old man smiles And shakes his white head at the children.   Squirming with impatience, the children Play on the floor while the family Stands with hands in pockets and smiles And discusses a new tractor for the farm, While someone asks if the old one works still And someone starts a fresh pot of coffee.   The sound of beans grinding and the coffee Dripping, drowns the sound of the children Who must take loud games outside, or be still. One sister starts dinner for the family and listens to the talk of the farm. They ask how school’s going and she smiles.   Mom watches from a corner and smiles; She laughs at the jokes and makes more coffee And watches the sun set over the farm, Her kind eyes falling on the playing children. Dad kisses her cheek, while the f

Summer Market in Chowchilla - Book Signing and Sale!

I will be selling and signing copies of my book,  Sketches of a Small Life , at the summer market in Chowchilla, California, on Friday evenings, 6-8:30pm, June 16, 23, and 30. Stick around for Music in the Park (starting at 8pm)! All events are free and open to the public. Location: Veteran's Memorial Park, 600 W. Robertson Boulevard, Chowchilla, CA 93610 Link to City of Chowchilla event page:  https://www.cityofchowchilla.org/339/Summer-Event-Series