Skip to main content

Requiem for August

 

The California Central Valley is not kind to August and its droves of returning scholars eager for fall to begin. Summer vacation may be over, but summer is not.

It is generally assumed that the beginning of the school year ushers in a new season—that the summer heat will gradually taper off and give way to more moderate temperatures. The assumption exists in our own valley, too, as a glance into any department store will show. Here, no one will think it strange that pumpkins and colored leaves decorate the shelves or that racks of sweaters are already being wheeled out, while the thermometer outside reads 100 degrees Fahrenheit. They will shrug and say, “School is starting,” and Google when Starbucks is going to start selling pumpkin spice lattes. It’s a national tradition, and it helps students romanticize the otherwise dreaded return to school.

Here in the valley, the extreme heat advisories will persist well into September. The real transition into fall—the cool temperatures, the changing colors, the phantom scents of rain—won’t take place until October. August and September will only be a continuation of the beating sun and parched earth of June and July, but with none of the excitement and freedom of summer vacation.

September is already a drab month; it is when school and all its unpleasantness begins in good earnest, but without any of the magic of the later autumn months. August, I think, has the hardest luck. It is fraught with the anticipation of a new season but has the unfortunate distinction of being the month when people begin wishing it was a different month. August is a waystation between vacation and school; it is the month in which we begin to mark important dates on our calendar and to take notice again, reluctantly, of the flow of time. It is not considered a summer month, although the weather is the same, nor is it quite a school month. It is certainly not an autumn month, however much we wish it. It is displaced and orphaned.

But to the Valley, to the white-hot sky above and stubborn ground beneath, August is no different than the months before it. The Valley does not observe our dates, nor keep time by our clocks. It will persist in its observation of summer, its holiest of seasons, and its only signal of the changing times, for the next month or two at least, may be a dwindling of the harvest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Abortion

The essential question regarding the issue of abortion is this: can the unborn be properly considered human and are we therefore under an obligation to protect them? If this can be answered, we can begin to consider the social and political issues surrounding abortion. The Nature and Rights of the Unborn Human rights are contingent on being human—something that has always been implicit, but never fully defined except in the sphere of philosophy or in a strictly biological sense. In the past, a clear definition wasn’t necessary, because no one was thinking about existence before birth or what makes us different from machines and so forth. As science has progressed, however, we’ve been forced to consider our own humanity because of how deeply we understand our biology, including our development from a fertilized egg, and of how frequently in science the lines between material and abstract existence are blurred. Ethics in science aside, abortion is probably the most notable scenario...

A Brief Review of Descartes' Method

Over the Christmas break, I was finally able to finish Rene Descartes’ Discourse on Method . It’s a very short book and I have no excuse for taking half a semester to finish it, except that I usually tried to read it as I waited for my class to begin and was often interrupted or distracted. It was Descartes who first sparked my interest in philosophy as a teenager, and I was excited to finally read his most famous work in its entirety. I read an excerpt of it several years ago but was never able to find the complete work in any bookstores and never bothered to order it. Early last year, my favorite used bookstore added a philosophy section and I eagerly snatched up the only copy of Rene Descartes’ Discourse on Method and Related Writings. True to form, it wasn’t until much later in the year that I actually sat down to read it. I remembered the fascination that Descartes had held for me in high school and I wondered if this book would live up to my expectations, or if, as I was prone ...

Avatar vs. Princess Mononoke: Why Miyazaki Did It Better

When it comes to pop culture trends, I consider myself a cautious follower. I like to wait a little to see if a trend will last long enough to be worth my time, but I eventually hop on the bandwagon, which makes me an objectively uncool person: not cool enough to be a trendsetter and not cool enough to ignore trends altogether. But when it comes to film, I’m especially lazy. By the time I got around to Stranger Things , almost everyone I knew had already seen it. I watched Game of Thrones long after the final season was released and then only through a heavily censored, abbreviated series of YouTube videos. And by the time I watched Squid Game I already knew half the plot from the memes alone. (Incidentally, memes are my primary motivation for watching most shows.) Regarding James Cameron’s Avatar , my laziness is a little more understandable since I was eight years old when it was released and I still hadn’t recovered from the shark scene in Finding Nemo. As I got older, I felt ...